Sunday, March 3, 2013

Confessions of an Addict Part II

A massive headache overtook my grandfather for a long period of time during one of his business trips. It started out as a mild headache, but it later evolved into a force so powerful that it kept him in bed for days--the headache lasted approximately eight days. After taking several aspirins throughout the course of the week to eliminate the headache to no avail, he was unable to figure out what was wrong with him. One day, he had the brilliant idea of making a cup of coffee--something he had not had in eight days. As he drank a cup, the caffeine that coursed through his veins immediately eliminated his headache and any other symptoms of exhaustion he might have.

I wasn't planning on making a series of posts about caffeine, something I don't consume regularly, but writing has continued to become a release for Pierina in her continuing struggle with her addiction to Coca-Cola (check out the first installment of Confessions of an Addict if you haven't already). In this edition, she documents days 4, 5, and 6 of her Coca-Cola-free aspirations:



 Day 4

I didn't think about Coca-Cola at all today. In fact, my abdomen has started to look less bloated--it's surprising how fattening Coke is. For some reason, I started eating sweets again--I think that I have substituted Coca-Cola for desserts. I had a brownie a la mode all by myself.

Day 5

I woke up with a bit of a headache but I had breakfast and it's been fading away--I'm not sure to what degree this has to do with the abstinence syndrome. I've definitely lost weight in the abdomen. I've always been skinny, but I had a belly that didn't fit with the rest of my body and it's slowly going away--I imagine that by doing some exercises I can eliminate all of it. The problem was that I had to snack something in the afternoon because I was starving, and when I stopped somewhere to get something to eat, it came with a soda so I impulsively ordered a Coca-Cola without thinking too much about it.

Day 6

And the abdomen keeps getting smaller... Up until now, I've had a good day without having any soda. That's the problem with these types of addictions. I'll see how I'll deal with this tonight because it's probable that I'll go out and drink with friends (home-made, and easy-to-mix drinks, for example: Cuba Libre). Coke is everywhere, everyone drinks it, and it mixes with everything. Anyways, in 6 days, I've only had one Coke on two occasions... YAY ME! It's a big step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment