Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Confessions of an Addict

Even though most people don't know this, drinking one caffeinated drink a day on a consistent basis is the amount of caffeine that makes you dependent on caffeine. Caffeine addiction isn't taken very seriously, but it can have terrible effects on the human body. In fact, it's been documented that caffeine is just as addicting as nicotine.

As a Coca-Cola addict, my friend Pierina wanted to find a creative outlet documenting her current struggle with caffeine-sobriety. In order to do so, she started a diary writing about the withdrawal symptoms that have been creeping up on her in the last couple of days, and these short pieces on suffering and the path to recovery is what she came up with:

Day 1

I'm going crazy. The simple thought of the ice that accompanies a good glass of Coke makes my mouth drool. I think about the cold going down my throat (I just licked my lips) and it begs me to drink it. I yearn to feel it's sweetness. I don't even want to approach the fridge in order to avoid it.
Part 2: I just had a huge meal and all the anxiety has left me.
(Add Author's note on how hysterical I was yesterday)

She was in a bad mood, desperate, overexcited, and annoyed with everything.



Day 2

During lunch today, I sat with someone who ordered a Coke and I resisted the temptation to drink it. But I'm going crazy. I think I will gain weight because of the fact that I get a craving for sweets when I don't drink it. My body tries to convince me to have something cold in my throat, and yelling that it must be sweet. I hope I survive.
I took your advice of replacing it with something else, and I put a Trident gum in my mouth which calmed the anxiety of my taste buds with a mild flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment